Puffy & Poisonous: Lacking stealth, the pufferfish developed another way of evading predators: the fish gulps down enormous amounts of water, transforming into menacing, spiky ball twice its normal size.
Pufferfish also have powerfully poisonous internal organs, which can cause breathing difficulties, and even death to animals that manage to eat them.
Ironically, these highly toxic fish are also irresistably delicious to many humans!
In Japan, only licensed chefs, which train for five to seven years, can legally serve the fish. These sushi masters learn the puffer's anatomy, the toxicity of its organs, safe methods of preparing the fish, and even first aid procedures!